Monday, June 9, 2008

Everyone's Breeding

So, as you may imagine, that puts incredible pressure on me. I mean, how do you know the best yarn to buy for baby projects?

In order of priority:

1. NON-FLAMMABLE.

Obviously, it would pretty much suck-to-the-max to create something for one of your dear friends, only to have it melt onto their child and scar them for life. NOT an option.
2. Machine washable.
No sleep-deprived, sore, emotionally unstable woman I know wants to wash anything by hand. Even when I'm not sore, I don't really want to.
3. Organic/ Sustainably farmed/ Natural

Maybe as high a priority to some as #2 above, but not when you ask said mother at 4 am when the laundry needs to be done.

My tendency is towards a super-wash merino. Natural fibre, awesome, and all the colors I could hope for. The downside is that I'm not sure I am fully educated about the chemical process that makes it "Super-wash" (ie. machine wash & dry able). Do I want my kid's friends (& my friend's kids) all jacked up on some unknown chemical?

An organic cotton seems to be a good idea, but I am concerned about softness. Soft+cuddly+yum-yum factor is HUGE here, I mean, it's a child's first tactile interactions we're talking about, that's important, right? My experience with cotton thus far is limited; what I have worked with I love, but I wouldn't think it ideal for cuddling.

Also, the organic yarns I've seen tend to only come in very muted colors, and I have a feeling that the two new kids on the coast aren't going to be either bashful or quiet. Doesn't seem like a good fit to me. These kids are gonna want some COLOR.

2 comments:

Marci said...

aren't you a crafty one love the sox and the farmers market bag. You gotta teach my how to make a beanie! I can only make scarves and leis.
hope all is well with you :)

Marci said...

oops I almost forgot 19 more shopping days ;) just for old time sake

MacKenna's Booties

MacKenna's Booties