Friday, January 9, 2009

Sole Squeezing Lenore

Lenore looks lovely:

100_0491

The color isn't very accurate in this pic, should be more like this:

100_0484

But aren't they purrty? I'm really happy, considering the road got a bit rough there. I think I gave myself a case of The Overconfidence. Hell, I've made like four pairs of socks, I can do anything, right? Huh.
Reminder: SLOW DOWN. READ THE FUCKING DIRECTIONS. oh, and COUNT. OFTEN.
I got carried away casting on for these Christmas Day at the table in my mom's kitchen. I had read the directions a few times, then forgot, I guess...It can be a little distracting in that room.
In the first part of the chart, it calls for a sl1-p2tog-psso. I figured (in all my experience) that if you're purling, you would slip that first stitch purlwise. Wrong - and the directions for the chart clearly state "Slip 1 as if to knit, p2tog..." So the whole cuff of the first sock is wrong. I realized this, of course, while working the second sock. On top of that, I kinda made up my own rules about how one should YO between purl & knit stitches; unfortunately my rules weren't quite right. So, I also lost some lovely lace effect, but only on half of the motif. Heh.
The second sock's cuff came out perfect. The toe...not so much. Somehow I lost track of where the sides of the sock were...I really have no idea how it happened, but the second sock is bigger around, and the toe decreases kinda curve around the top of the foot, instead of falling nicely along each side...not a lot in either respect, but enough for me to notice.
The good news is that (a) they both fit, and no one else can really tell, I think, unless I point it out to them, and (b) this clearly means that I need to make another pair. Will Blue Moon Fiber Arts be at Stitches West this year? Hmmmm...

(squee)

More pics, just 'cause.

100_0492

100_0495

100_0494

Oh, and I can't really tell you all about it yet, but I have this in the works:

100_0490

The pink edge won't be there, it's a provisional cast on. It (the prov. cast on) made me learn how to chain stitch! Yay. But look! Beads! I thought at first it would be super fiddly, but it's fun. I look forward to all the rows with the beads in it. Did I just find another addiction? Great.
Also, this is the first time I'm actually making lace with lace weight yarn. It's tough on the Denise Interchangeables, they're pretty blunt. But can I justify Addi Turbos? Maybe it's time for the KnitPicks Options...hmmmm....

Oh, last question for those of you who use Blogger...why are the right hands of my pics cut off? Where's the border that's supposed to be there? I can't figure it out, and it's bugging the crap outta me. Help?

2 comments:

ab said...

Shuuure are purrrty! Great job! I have such sock envy now...grrr.

Oh, I promise not to flake on Stitches this year, and be all pregnant... well, I promise not to be pregnant, but let me know if you'd like a tag-a-long or two.

Oh, and lovely blogger... this is just my guess... looks like the flickr pics that are uploaded are large for the format of your layout... try it with a medium (333x500) flickr link and upload to blogger in the medium size also. For whatever reason, that seems to work with most blog formatting. I have no idea if it's a blogger format issue or photo sizing, but I know R has a hard time with photbucket with the same outcome.
Did you make your template for the formatting or use it from another source? If you can get into the code, maybe you can tweak it that way too?

ayarnsnackaday said...

Ok, so I am also attempting to do a Yarn Harlot pattern, Baby Mine, which sounds like it has the same lace motif as Lenore...and I can't figure out if I'm doing it right...Maybe I can figure it out if you share with me how you did the sl1-p2tog-psso part...on my pattern there is a purl stitch before that "slipped as if to knit stitch", did you bring the working yarn to the back before slipping the stitch or did you just leave it in front and slip the stitch knitwise, then p2tog and psso? I have tried to research it and can't seem to find a good answer. My other problem with the pattern is trying to figure out how to distribute the stitches on dpns so that the yarnovers don't fall at the end of the needle where they seem to want to loosen and make ladders. I cast on 40 and am trying to do this on 3dpns like yarnharlot showed on her blog. Any help you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacKenna's Booties

MacKenna's Booties