Sunday, December 21, 2008

ARGyle

Finally...it's done:

100_0414

Modeled here by the lovely BabyGirl. A couple more pics:

100_0416
100_0417

It was really fiddly...I think that's the best way to describe it. Not necessarily hard, but very time consuming. If I was focusing really well, I could finish one repeat of the chart (one set of "argyle" diamonds) in about an hour. I found the chart as written to be kinda confusing to follow, so I changed it a bit. It was really small in the book, so the first thing I did was to copy it onto graph paper, so I could just work off it without the book. The problem I had with it was that the symbols' meanings changed depending on which side you are working. It's kinda hard to explain without seeing it, and I don't want to replicate the chart here because of copyright concerns. But for those of you that have it, this is what I did:

100_0419

Every square is supposed to be 2 stitches; depending on where you are in the chart, you knit with the main color and then purl the contrasting color (or vise versa). For example, on the right side a blank square would mean "K1MC, P1CC" and a colored square would mean "K1 CC, P1MC," but on the next row it would be the opposite. Instead of checking the symbols on every square, and then checking to see what side I'm on, I marked a "C" or an "M;" if it's a "C" I knit contrast first, then purl main color. This probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you're not familiar with the pattern, but I really hope it does help if you are. It made my work go much faster.

So...two more project to finish by Wednesday! I should probably start one of them now...

No comments:

MacKenna's Booties

MacKenna's Booties