Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Is this what the blocking boards are for?

Finished Baby M's blanket...just in time. Welcome to the world, little one, happy birthday (8/17/08) and welcome to our Tribe.
But wait...what's that on your blanket?

100_3244

Asshat!

100_3245

It's been less than 24 hours since I completed the last board, finished the finished-just-in-time blanket, and blocked it out...and CatFaceMan already decided it's his newest most favoriteist sleeping spot.
Think he feels bad?

100_3241

Probably not.

In other news...

I've finally begun finished the Deady Bear, from Son of Stitch n' Bitch. I found some typos along the way, detailed here:
On the directions for the muzzle, it reads ”Rows 3, 5 and 7 K2, m1…” The next line reads ”Row 5 K3, m1…” It seems to me that the “Rows 3, 5 and 7” line should be “Row 3”.
Further down, the instructions skip row 15, although the pattern still makes sense, the row “name number” is mislabeled.


That's just what I was able to notice...due either to my inexperience, or further typos/errata, the belly came out really badly. While stuffing, my bear had less of a belly and more of a rack. Does a bear need boobs? Probably not, eh?

So I unstuffed, and sewed the corners of the belly together, giving him a rounder appearance:

100_3262

Here's some other pieces; the ears. blood, and arms:

100_3257
100_3258
100_3255

It's coming along, although I really wish either a) it had been written in-the-round, I feel that it doesn't make any sense to knit it all flat then sew it, or b) that I had the confidence and knowledge to go ahead and knit it in the round anyways. I can wish for a, but I know that b will come with time and practice, so that's okay too.

Better pictures of the blanket tomorrow, in the sunshine. Finished pictures of The Bear soon, hopefully.

1 comment:

Arwyn Y. said...

Well, the reason why the pattern wasn't written in the round is due to the intarsia. Because you are moving in a continuous circle, doing intarsia in the usual fashion is not possible. There are a couple of ways of working with large color blocks in the round, but they are more complicated (in fact, one hat I've tried to do in that fashion is still incomplete over a year later because I was frustrated with it). I know some people have attempted to do Deady Bear in the round while avoiding the intarsia belly all together. I've been thinking about writing directions for in the round, but I'm not sure how kosher that would be.

MacKenna's Booties

MacKenna's Booties